- Ionel Popescu, 37 years, is the winner of BVB’s first real-life trading competition
- The winner who posted a return of more than 30 percent is awarded a fully insured Dacia Duster SUV
- The top 10 competitors have returns of over 15%; nearly 50 participants register two-digit returns
- The youngest participant is 25 years old, the eldest one is 83
The Bucharest Stock Exchange (BVB) awarded during a gala the investors who had reported the highest return at the end of "Condus de randament" ("Driven by Return") competition, the first real-life trading contest organized by BVB. The winner of the first edition is Ionel Popescu (photo), 37 years, from Bucharest, who posted a return of 30.34 percent after four months of trading.
"I have always tried to increase the family savings and considered the stock exchange investments suit me. I have taken part in this competition following BVB’s message and the promotion [of the competition]," said at the awards gala Ionel Popescu, who had been working for over 10 years in the project management field. "I became an investor in 2013 and ever since I have attended dozens of financial education events organized by BVB and BCR [the brokerage company]," the winner added.
"I was motivated by the competition and accepted this challenge to get the highest return. I trusted my investment decisions even though I did not really matter in the leaderboard for 3 months and one week. I had several profitable transactions and I used to buy more of the same shares even though they were two percentage points lower than when I had bought them the first time because I believed they would rebound," Popescu explained his strategy.
"I would like to congratulate the winner for the return he obtained in four months of trading. Naturally, all the participants in this competition deserve recognition. They are the proof that one can achieve outstanding results once being involved in the capital market. We hope the first edition of the <<Condus de randament>> competition will inspire current and potential participants to the capital market. It’s clearly been an inspiration to us, and following the requests received so far we plan to launch the second edition later this year," announced BVB’s CEO Ludwik Sobolewski.
"Having ordinary people reporting returns in excess of 30 percent shows we have investors who are able to analyze very attentively the activity of the listed company. Their success is a signal to other potential participants to the market, those who are still pondering and have not invested in the companies listed on BVB so far, that success on the capital market is as real as it can be," said BVB’s Chairman Lucian Anghel.
During the Gala, the winner of the competition was awarded a Dacia Duster SUV. The main partner of the project was Raiffeisen Bank.
The other two investors who gained a place on the podium had returns of over 24%. Cristian Duta, 48 years, from Albestii de Arges, came in second with a total return of 24.13%. Alin Modan, 31 years, from Bucharest, ranked third with a return of 24.01%.
The top 10 competitors registered returns in excess of 15 percent, while nearly 50 participants had two-digit returns, which corresponds to gains larger than 10% during those four months. The youngest participant of the "Condus de randament" competition is 25 years old, while the eldest one is 83 years old.
The first 20 participants who recorded the largest returns will be awarded by the Bucharest Stock Exhange and its partners as follows:
- 1st place: Dacia Duster Laureate (the car will have full insurance for a period of 12 months, offered by Destine Broker)
- 2nd place: shopping voucher at online store emag.ro worth EUR 3,000, offered by eMAG
- 3rd place: premium 5-days holiday in Sibiu, offered by Happy Tour
- 4th place: Smart X -Board Scooter, offered by Evolio
- 5th place: Vector Watch Luna Rose Gold, offered by Vector
- 6th place: Vector Watch Silver Moon, offered by Vector
- 7th – 16th places: Premium 12 months subscription to Avocatnet.ro, provided by Avocatnet.ro
- 17th – 20th places: Piggybank "Fluent in Finante", offered by the Bucharest Stock Exchange
The first real-life trading competition organized by BVB started on October 17th, 2016, and ended on February 17th, 2017. No minimum amount was required to enter the competition, which allowed the participants to apply their own investment strategies in order to get the largest returns and thus become eligible for the above mentioned awards, which were handed to the winners on the 7th of March.
Partners of "Condus de randament" project were Raiffeisen Bank, eMAG, Happy Tour, Evolio, Posta Romana, ACCA, Dacia, Destine Broker, Vector and Avocatnet.ro.